January 1, 2011

Commentary

Epiphany of the Lord
Matthew 2: 1-12

His Star

The magi come to Jerusalem asking for the newborn king of the Jews because they saw "his star at its rising." And it is the star that has guided them up to this point. The star will continue to lead them "to the place where the child" is.

In between, however, other people help guide the magi to the newborn king. They include religious leaders ("the chief priests and the scribes of the people"), the prophet of old, and even a cruel and manipulative king. Herod for sure does not intend to lead the magi to the newborn king for their good.

Isn't it amazing how God works through people?

How does God work in my life to draw me closer to God? Who have helped me find God? How do they do it?

Who have I led to an encounter with the Savior? In what way and circumstances has God worked through me to lead others to God?

No comments: