October 16, 2020

29th Sunday - A (October 18, 2020)

 

“Repay To God What Belongs to God”

Matthew 22: 15-21

 

The question then is, “What does not belong to God?”

 

All things and all people are from God and belong to God.

 

In the current social and political climate, this fact challenges us to examine our attitude regarding all that God has created. 

 

Some possible questions are:

Do I allow myself, other people, or created things to take God’s place in my life and in my heart?  One practical application of this question is in our political viewpoint and affiliation.  Is the #1 rule in my life God’s law, or my political agenda, or that of my political party or leader?

 

Another question:  How do I treat others, particularly those who hold different opinions than mine?  In the Second Reading, St. Paul reminds us that we all are “brothers and sisters,” “chosen” and “loved by God.”  

 

Today is also World Mission Sunday.  View Pope Francis' message for this day  here.


Image source: www.agnusday.org

No comments: