May 21, 2011

5th Sunday of Easter - A

Commentary

Who Will I Be?

Though we read this passage today in the Easter season, it may help our appreciation and understanding of Jesus' words to go back to their setting.

In John's Gospel, these words form parts of Jesus' farewell speech to the disciples during the Last Supper.

More precisely, in Chapter 13, John recounts Jesus telling the disciples that one of them would betray him. Then Judas leaves their company while "it was night" (v. 30), a "[movement] away from the light into the darkness." [1]

Then a few verses later, Jesus tells Peter, "you will deny me three times" (v. 38).

One of his own will betray him. Another denies him. And the rest will run for their lives.

To these very people, Jesus declares, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Will I be Judas or Peter? Will I run away from Jesus?

Or will I use Philip's words and pray, "Master, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us."

---------------------
[1] Francis J. Moloney, S.D.B., The Gospel of John, Sacra Pagina series. Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 1998; p. 385.


No comments: