June 24, 2011

Solemnity of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ

Commentary

"Remain In Me"

One of the key recurring themes in the Gospel According to John is to be one with God.

With the very first sentence of the Gospel, John indicates that Jesus, the Word of God, is with God. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God" (1:1).

The Word of God came into the world to give those who believe in his name the "power to become children of God" (1:12). Thus, by his coming among us, the Son, who is with God, brings us into one with God.

The purpose of Jesus' earthly life is to carry out this mission. Near the end of his living among us, at the Last Supper, Jesus gave his friends these words of farewell, ""Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him." (14:23)

In this way, "I am in my Father and you are in me and I in you." (14:20)

Jesus' mission continues. While we may not see Jesus Christ with our physical eyes, the Eucharist gives to us even now, everyday of our life, this unity with the Divine, "Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him."

Thus, in the Eucharist, the Word of God continues to be in the flesh, our flesh, so that we are now one with God.


No comments: