May 11, 2013

7th Sunday of Easter - C


Commentary

What Else Do We Need?

Here, we read the very end of Chapter 17 in the Gospel of John.  In a few verses, at the beginning of Chapter 18, Jesus is arrested.

In that context, these are the farewell words of Jesus to his friends and disciples.

As he is about to offer himself as the sacrifice of love, Jesus tells us:

1    1. He prays for us (“I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in me through their word.”)
2    2. He has given us the glory that the Father gave him.
        3.  We are one with God (“I in them and you in me.”)
      4.  God loves us with the same love God loves God’s only Son (“You loved them even as you loved me.”
        5.  We have that love because Jesus has revealed God to us (“I made known to them your name and I will make it known, that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in them.”)
      6. We are God’s gift to Jesus.

So, what else do we need?

No comments: