January 11, 2014

Baptism of the Lord - A


Commentary

God’s Beloved Son

"This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased."

These words of God came at the beginning of Jesus’ public ministry.  The rest of the Gospel will portray for us God’s beloved Son. 

The first reading of this feast is a summary of how the beloved Son of God lived, with his attitudes and actions.  (And it would be better not for me to summarize or explain it)

“Thus says the LORD:
Here is my servant whom I uphold,
my chosen one with whom I am pleased,
upon whom I have put my spirit;
he shall bring forth justice to the nations,
not crying out, not shouting,
not making his voice heard in the street.
a bruised reed he shall not break,
and a smoldering wick he shall not quench,
until he establishes justice on the earth;
the coastlands will wait for his teaching.

I, the LORD, have called you for the victory of justice,
I have grasped you by the hand;
I formed you, and set you
as a covenant of the people,
a light for the nations,
to open the eyes of the blind,
to bring out prisoners from confinement,
and from the dungeon, those who live in darkness.”  (Isaiah 42: 1-4, 6-7)

How am I, a child of God, following the example of Jesus, God’s beloved Son?


No comments: