July 7, 2018

14th Sunday - B (July 8, 2018)


"Is He not …?"

The people from Jesus’ native place think that they know who Jesus is, but they don’t. 

How about me?

If I want to know Jesus, I first have to spend time with him.

I can also let him tell me more about him.  And one way of doing that is to read, reflect on, and pray with Scriptures.

I cannot really say I don’t have time to read the Bible. 
To put things in perspective, a news article averages 500 – 800 words.  A novel has between 50,000 to 110,000 words.  For example, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer’s Stone is about 77,500 words total.
A biography on the life of so-and-so has an average of 80,000 to 200,000 words.

Meanwhile, the Gospels are not just Jesus’ biography or some stories about him.  Jesus reveals himself to us through those words. 

And the entire Gospel According to Mark has 11,304 words, which is about 22 single-space typed pages. 

That should put things in perspective if I think I don’t have time to read the Bible and let Jesus speak to me.  


No comments: