June 27, 2020

13th Sunday - A (June 28, 2020)


God’s Ambassadors

“Whoever receives you receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me.”

First, borrowing the words of St. Paul in 2 Corinthians 5:20, “We are ambassadors for Christ.”  Then, I must ask myself:  Who is the God that I represent?  Is this God the God of love, mercy, compassion, and goodness? 

And as St. Paul reminds us in today’s 2nd reading, there are certain sins in me that must die, perhaps selfishness, hatred, resentment, etc.   Only then can I can live for God as Jesus did.  Then, people who receive me might see more clearly the God who is the God of love, mercy, compassion and goodness.

Second, I have to ask myself who I need to recognize as God’s ambassadors in my life.  There are those who love me and care for me.  But let me not forget what Jesus also says in the same Gospel According to Matthew in Chapter 25.  His ambassadors are those who are hungry, thirsty, strangers, naked, ill, in prison, strangers.  They are his ambassadors because he identifies himself in them, “Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.”



No comments: