August 22, 2020

21st Sunday - A (August 23, 2020)

A Loaded Question

Matthew 16: 13-20

“Who do you say that I am?” 

Peter answered it then.  Each one of us still needs to answer it today. 

It’s not enough to know other people’s answers, even if they have the right answer.  Jesus reminds us that faith is a gift revealed by the heavenly Father.  And we need to embrace it.

The faith Peter professes is the faith of the Church.  The Church professes that Jesus is “the Christ, the Son of the living God.”  This Son of God came to earth so that by his cross and resurrection, he has brought all people into the family of God, as God’s sons and daughters. 

If I accept this gift of faith from God, there are a number of consequent ramifications.  One, Jesus must be first in my life.  Two, I must treat other people as my brothers and sisters, children of the same heavenly Father.  

Let us today pray for Pope Francis, Peter's successor.

 

Image source:  www.wikimedia.org


No comments: