January 2, 2021

Epiphany (January 3, 2021)

 

The Inconvenience of Meeting God

Matthew 2: 1-12

 

Two groups of people have a chance to meet the newborn king of the Jews.

 

The magi “saw the star at its rising.”  They leave their homes and embark on their journey.  They disrupted their lives to “do homage” to this newborn king.  They could do that because they see the newborn king the fulfillment of a promise, of their hopes and probably their lifework.

 

King Herod and Jerusalem are “greatly troubled” at the prospect of this newborn king.  They presume the newborn king comes to threaten their routines, their power, and their positions.  It seems no surprise that neither Herod nor any of the chief priests and the scribes travel the five-mile trip to Bethlehem to do homage to the newborn King. 

 

How do I deal with the inconvenience of meeting God in my life, such as when I know I need to “make time” for God?  Or when somebody needs my help, asks for my time?   How do I react when God, through a person or a situation, invites me to change my thoughts, my attitude, or my way of doing things?

 

Image by Carmelo Garofalo, found at twitter.com/Cindy_Wooden

No comments: