December 2, 2013

Novena to the Immaculate Conception

Mary, Mother of the New Evangelization

Day 2

Theme:  MARY, SERVANT OF THE FATHER





Scripture Passage       Luke 1: 26 – 38

Marian Reading
God surprises us.  This was the experience of the Virgin Mary. At the message of the angel, she does not hide her surprise. It is the astonishment of realizing that God, to become man, had chosen her, a simple maid of Nazareth. Not someone who lived in a palace amid power and riches, or one who had done extraordinary things, but simply someone who was open to God and put her trust in him, even without understanding everything: “Here I am, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word” (Lk 1:38). That was her answer. God constantly surprises us, He bursts our categories, He wreaks havoc with our plans. And He tells us: Trust me, do not be afraid, let yourself be surprised, leave yourself behind and follow me!
Today let us all ask ourselves whether we are afraid of what God might ask, or of what He does ask. Do I let myself be surprised by God, as Mary was, or do I remain caught up in my own safety zone: in forms of material, intellectual or ideological security, taking refuge in my own projects and plans? Do I truly let God into my life? How do I answer him? (Pope Francis, Homily for Marian Day during the Year of Faith, October 13, 2013)

(Image:  Sandro Botticelli, The Mourning of Christ)

No comments: